1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts 1/4 pound thick-cut bacon Butter (optional) <—- Nanette says, not really optional if you’re going to make this… Sriracha hot sauce Lime Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. With a knife, trim the hard, woody ends of the sprouts, then slice in half lengthwise through the core.
3. Cut the bacon into small chunks and cook in an ovenproof skillet over medium heat till crispy, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate.
4. Drain most of the fat from the pan and add the sprouts, cut-side down. Raise the heat to medium high and sear until the sprouts begin to sizzle. Put the skillet in the oven and roast until the sprouts are deeply browned, 8 minutes or so, then shake the pan to redistribute them and flip them over. Pull the pan from the oven when the sprouts are bright green and fairly tender (taste one to check), about 10 minutes more, depending on how large they are.
5. Return the pan to the stovetop over medium heat. Stir in the bacon and, if you want, a pat or two of butter. Swirl till incorporated.
6. Place in a bowl. Add a few squirts of sriracha hot sauce, depending on how hot you like it, and a squeeze or two of fresh lime juice. Season with salt and pepper, if necessary. Serve with anything.
* in the article, they showed it with kimchi. unfortunately, we had no kimchi.